…. Is market leader in algae harvesting: more than 10 years worldwide experience
…. Is trusted advisor & solution provider of over 50 algae producers in 17 countries
…. Realizes significant reduction in Capex and Opex of the algae downstream process
…. Concentrates 100% of the algae Biomass & recycles of the water
…. Concentrates both fresh & marine water algae and algae with strong cell walls & very fragile algae
…. Reaches high concentrations (> 100 gr/l) with LiqoCap membrane technology
…. Engineers and installs proven solutions for algae harvesting & water treatment
…. Is easy to work with, high level of automation
Photo: 2 Liqoflux LF16AL22 unit with 32 LiqoCap UF membranes at A4F Algatec Eco Business Park in Lisbon Portugal
Pieter Boelens, CCO of Liqoflux is invited as a speaker at the Algae Biomass Summit in Wisconsin (Oct 9-11, 2023). Pieter will present solutions for large volume algae harvesting & water treatment. We hope to meet you in the US next month!
The Algae market is growing and so do our Algae clients. Over the last year the algae volumes to be harvested increased significantly. To serve our clients we co-developed with one of our clients, a Liqoflux Algae harvesting unit with 30 LipoCap membranes to harvest...
Last month we commissioned in- and outside Europe two large Liqoflux algae harvesting units. Both clients will realize significant savings in the algae harvesting processes and are able to recycle the water/media back to the algae production facility. We are proud...
…. Support our clients from requirements to working algae harvesting & water treatment solution
…. Delivers for each part of the algae harvesting and water treatment process the right technical solution
…. Integrates all technical solutions to one seamlessly integrated process
…. Delivers solutions for smaller test/pilot algae sites to large commercial algae production facilities
…. Delivers proven solutions with high level of automation: easy to operate, easy to clean and reliable.
Consulting & Engineering
….. Has extensive knowledge of algae harvesting and water treatment processes for algae production
….. Has ‘standard’ business modelling tools to analyse the Capex and Opex of the algae harvesting and water treatment processes
….. Knows how to scale up from a small pilot facility to large commercial algae production
….. Helps clients in the design and engineering of the algae harvesting and water treatment processes
…. Selects with the clients the best technical solution for each part of the process
…. Sees performance support as a key part of their services to algae clients
…. Has world wide preventive maintenance support available
…. Is a partner that works with the algae clients to achieve the maximum performance out of the solutions
….. has designed the UF units with remote monitoring to allow assistance with trouble shooting and process optimization
….. Is easy to reach and work with
ALGAE HARVESTING & WATER TREATMENT
The quality of the water is extremely important for algae production. Liqoflux has extensive experience in water purifying of all type of water sources (well, surface water, sea water, ….) and makes it suitable for algae production. Dependent on a detailed water analysis Liqoflux selects and implements the right technology to purify the water: Ultra-filtration, Dissolved Air Flotation, Activated Filter Media, Reverse-Osmosis, ….
Liqoflux is world market leader in delivering solutions for algae concentration. The Liqoflux solutions with LiqoCap Ultra Filtration (UF) membranes are helping our algae clients all over the world with the (pre-)concentration of low to high volume algae cultures.
In harvesting high volumes of algae cultures the challenge is to process the high volumes in a minimum timeframe and, at the same time, optimize the algae harvesting costs. To optimize the algae harvesting costs we advise a 2-step algae harvesting solution with the LiqoCap UF membranes:
- Step 1 – Pre-concentrate the algae culture up to 10-20 gr/liter to separate the ‘easy’ water (more than 95% of the water!). The clean water, free from algae cells and bacteria is ready for recycling to your algae production system.
- Step 2 – Concentrate the pre-concentrated algae to a higher dry solid. With the new LiqoCap UF membranes with larger capillary size high end concentrations (>100 gr/l) can be reached. For higher end-concentrations a centrifuge is needed.
Next to the LiqoCap UF membranes we deliver disk filters to protect the UF membranes for larger particles, Vibrating sieves for esp. Spirulina harvesting and Drum filters for large volume pre-concentration of larger algae strains (Spirulina & Dunaliella)
Our clients are asking more and more for an integrated washing/rinsing step in the algae harvesting process to reduce the salt content.
In our Liqoflux algae harvesting solution we integrated a fully automated washing step where we mix the algae concentrate with fresh water and restart the concentration process.
Re-using the water is for most algae producers a pre-requisite. The permeate water of the Liqoflux Algae harvesting solution with the LiqoCap UF membranes, is clean. The clean water is free from algae cells and bacteria and ready to be recycled back to the algae production facility. We also help our clients with an extra disinfection step (UV or Ozon) to improve the quality of the water before recycling.
When clients use centrifuges for algae harvesting, not 100% of the algae biomass is harvested. The effluent of the centrifuge contains the ‘lost’ algae cells and bacteria. With the Liqoflux UF solution the effluent can be processed, producing a concentrate containing all the ‘lost’ algae cells and clean water, ready to be recycled.
The LiqoCap® Ultra Filtration (UF) membranes are the key components of the Liqoflux solutions to effectively separate the algae from the water. Liqoflux selected the right filters for algae harvesting and water recycling. With our LiqoCap membrane technology we concentrate all algae strains. We have extensive worldwide experience with all kind of algae strains, not only algae with strong cell walls but also very fragile algae.
The membrane technology is selected with the algae specific requirements in mind:
- Stable throughput (flux)
- Good antifouling properties
- 100% retention of algae cells
- High operating reliability
- Long service life with low maintenance
- Tolerance over wide pH range
- Easy to clean
The LiqoCap UF membranes contain capillaries with increased inner diameter and small pore sizes to increase the performance and minimize the fouling. With the new LiqoCap UF membranes with an even larger capillary size, high-end concentrations can be achieved (> 100 grammes/liter).
The Liqoflux units are all PLC controlled and fully automate with a 100% focus on the algae industry. One of the unique functionalities of the Liqoflux solution is that the client can choose the concentration factor for the process and manage the dry weight (DW) of the end-concentrate. We also implemented remote monitoring to help our clients in optimizing the algae concentration form a distance. Also the Cleaning In Place (CIP) process is fully integrated and automated in our units.
Recently we added a new functionality to our units: the automated desalination or washing/rinsing functionality. This new functionality makes it possible to reduce the salt content of the algae concentrate and producing a ‘cleaner’ final algae end product.
Our systems are made of reliable, high quality class A technical components and manufactured under rigorous quality control. All materials used in the Liqoflux units that are in contact with the algae culture/water are FDA, WRAS, KIWA or VEWIN approved for drinking water systems. Based on client’s data, together with our membrane partners, we are striving for continuous improvements on the LiqoCap UF membranes, our automated processes and skid.
For Macro-algae specific applications Liqoflux also delivers the algae solutions with Micro Filtration (MF) membranes and for certain extraction processes with Ultra Filtration (UF) membranes.
Available Algae harvesting units with LiqoCap filters:
- LF-Pilot unit for test & pilot facilities: processing up to ~ 400 liter/hour
- LF1AL22 & LF2AL22, with 1 – 2 LiqoCap UF membranes, units for pilot & smaller algae production facilities, processing 1.000 – 3.000 liter/hour
- Large commercial algae harvesting units with 6 – 40 LiqoCap UF membranes, processing 6.000 – 60.000 liter/hour
Disk filters are integrated before the LiqoCap UF membranes to filter out the larger particles before the start of the algae harvesting. The disk filter protects the LiqoCap membranes for damaging. Also for the purifying of surface or seawater this is a necessary first technology to implement.
- Easy & proven pre-filtration for larger particles (10 – 200 micron)
- Multiple disks to filter the algae culture or water: Disks are placed on top of each other in a cartridge
- Fully integrated into the PLC of the Liqoflux algae harvesting solutions
- Self cleaning: automatic back-flux mode, cartridge will be cleaned automatically
- Cost-effective and highly scalable solution
To preconcentrate large volumes of larger algae strains (e.g. Spirulina & Dunaliella), drum filter technology is an efficient solution to implement. We deliver the drum filters in PP which is an absolute necessity for saline algae production facilities
- Filtration degree down to 10 micron (meshsize)
- Large filtration area & wide range of flow rates,: 1 m3/h – > 1000 m3/h
- Automatic PLC controlled process: filtration without flow interruption
- Mechanical Self-Cleaning Filters & automatic Backwashing
- Also operate in water with high salt concentration, providing corrosion resistance
- Cost-effective and highly scalable solution
Plug & play technology to (pre-)concentrate small to medium sized volumes of larger algae strains (e.g. Spirulina). We deliver the vibrating sieves also in 316L for saline algae production facilities.
- Easy technology to implement, plug & play
- Proven technology at multiple Spirulina ‘farms’
- Advised mesh size for Spirulina harvesting: 20 – 25 micron
- Multiple standard units available with sieve diameter of 0,5 – 1,5 meter
- Flow-rate varies from 0,5 m3/h – 9 m3/h per unit
- Cost-effective solution
Ozon & UV disinfection
As a final step before recycling the water to the algae production facility, the water can be disinfected with Liqoflux disinfection solution: Ozon and/or Ultraviolet disinfection. Both the Ozon and UV solutions are environmentally friendly, chemical-free and free of by-products. Liqoflux offers complete Ozon & UV disinfection solutions.
- Ozone acts as a powerful oxidizer for components of the cell wall of micro-organisms. This destroys the cell (or cells) of the micro-organism.
- Ultraviolet (UV) light penetrates the microorganism’s cell wall resulting in the microorganism no longer being able to multiply. The cell nuclei are affected by the UV light. UV light denatures DNA that “inactivates” micro-organisms. “Inactivated” micro-organisms cannot reproduce or infect, rendering them harmless. The spectrum that causes this effect is called UV-C, a region between 240 and 280 nm.
- Disinfection with ultraviolet light is effective against bacteria, viruses and pathogens.
Algae are also often used in processes for water purification. This water purification requires multiple water treatment techniques to achieve the final specification & goal. Liqoflux provides total solutions for the entire water treatment process.
- Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF): DAF is a wastewater clarification process for the separation of solids, grease, and oils. The system helps concentrate sludge, removes a wide range of suspended solids (fats, oil, and grease) in wastewater and reduces COD and BOD. DAF works by producing a stream of microfine bubbles that attach to solids and lift them to the surface, where they can be removed by a surface scraping mechanism.
- Activated Filter Media (AFM): AFM Media is a direct replacement for sand, doubling the performance of sand filters without the need of additional investments in infrastructure. AFM® resists biofouling, biocoagulation and transient wormhole channeling of unfiltered water and never needs to be recharged or replaced.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO): Reverse RO is a water purification process that uses a semi-permeable membrane (synthetic lining) to filter out unwanted molecules and large particles such as contaminants and sediments like chlorine, salt, and dirt from water. In the algae world, RO is often used to produce fresh water from salt water (desalination).
Liqoflux delivers all of the above technologies also as containerized solutions. We integrate all units in 20 or 40 Ft containers including insulation, floor, light & air conditioning.