The solution provider for
algae downstream processing
We deliver the Algae Pre-Concentration Solution to harvest high volumes of algae cultures. The Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System: The first step in your algae harvesting process to pre-concentrate the algae culture.
Liqocap® capillary filters
The Liqocap® capillary filters are the key components of the Liqoflux solutions to effectively separate the algae from the water. The Liqocap® capillary filters are specially developed and suited for algae pre-concentration and effluent water recycling. The Liqocap® filters are designed with the algae specific requirements in mind: stable flux, minimal fouling and keeping the algae intact.
As all other capillary filters, the membrane serves as a selective barrier. The Liqocap® capillary filters contain capillaries with modified Polyethersulphone (PES), increased inner diameter of 2,2 mm and pore size of 0,02 micron.
What differs Liqocap® capillary filters from the competition is:
- The smooth surface of the capillaries that minimizes the fouling;
- The specific element design and structure of the capillaries that secure the lowest possible pressure drop in order to keep the algae cells intact;
- The small pore size that secures a 100% clean permeate.
Based on client’s data, together with our membrane partner, we are striving for continuous improvements on the Liqocap® capillary filters.
Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System to separate the ‘easy’ water
In harvesting high volumes of algae cultures the challenge is to process the high volumes in a limited timeframe and, at the same time, optimise the algae harvesting costs. To optimise the algae harvesting costs we advise a 2-step algae harvesting solution.
Step 1 Start with the Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System to separate the ‘easy’ water and pre-concentrate the algae culture up to 10-15 grams per litre.
Step 2 Select the right separation technology (*) to separate the ‘difficult’ water and produce a high dry solid algae paste.
(*) Centrifuge, decanter, dynamic settler
Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System specially designed for the algae industry
We know the challenges in the algae downstream process and the requirements for the pre-concentration of algae cultures. The Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System is specially designed and built for the algae industry.
We selected innovative membranes for the Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System
- The Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System separates the algae culture into a concentrate containing all the algae cells and clean effluent water, free from algae and bacteria. The clean water is ready for recycling to your algae production system.
- The innovative PES membrane properties result in a stable flux and minimal fouling.
- The smooth structure of the membranes and the well designed flow in the Algae Capillary Pre-Concentration System prevents algae from damaging and keeps the algae-cells fully intact.
- 100% separation and concentration of the algae biomass, no loss of algae.
The Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System is a containerized, plug-and-play solution
- We deliver standard containerized units for processing up to 80 m3/h of algae culture.
- The operation of the Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System is fully automatic and PLC controlled.
- The concentration factor is adjustable to your specific requirements.
- The Capillary Algae Pre-Concentration System is suitable for food-grade and both fresh and marine water applications.
The cost per m3 clean water produced from the algae culture is best in class
- Due to the low investment costs and low energy requirements you optimize the algae harvesting costs.
- With the Liqoflux 2-step harvesting approach the investment in harvesting equipment, yearly Capex & Opex and the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) per kg dry weight algae are reduced by 50-75%
Capillary Water Recycling System
For many algae producers, recycling of the effluent water, after harvesting the algae, is an absolute necessity. It’s our experience that centrifuges do not harvest 100% of the algae biomass. The effluent of the centrifuge contains the ‘lost’ algae cells. The Liqoflux Capillary Water/media Recycling solution processes the effluent into (1) a concentrate containing all the ‘lost’ algae cells and (2) clean water.
The clean water, free from algae cells and bacteria is ready for recycling to your algae production system. The concentrate can be recycled back to the centrifuge for harvesting. This process harvests 100% of the algae biomass!
- We deliver plug-and-play Capillary Water Recycling Systems, using the right materials for both fresh and marine applications.
- With the Liqocap® capillary filters, specially designed for the Algae industry, we secure the production of clean water.
- The Liqoflux Capillary Recycling System separates the effluent of the harvesting centrifuge into a concentrate containing the (lost) algae cells and clean effluent water, free from algae and bacteria.
- The clean water is ready for recycling to your algae production system and the concentrate in recycled back to the harvesting centrifuge resulting in 100% separation of the Algae Biomass.
- The operation of the Capillary Water Recycling Systems is fully automatic and PLC controlled.
- The cost per m3 clean water produced from the algae culture is best in class.
Liqoflux demonstrates excellent performance results at client sites working with different algae strains in both pre-concentration of algae cultures as well as water recycling. We offer solutions to process low volumes of algae cultures at pilot sites, to containerized solutions for high volume processing at algae production sites from 10 m3/h up to 80 m3/h. The flow rate is dependent on e.g. the algae strain, concentration of the algae culture, water quality and water temperature.
Our systems are made of reliable, high quality class A technical components and manufactured under rigorous quality control.
Pilot systems: LF1AL22 & LF2AL22
The Liqoflux Pilot systems contain 1 or 2 Liqocap® capillary filters. The processing capacity varies from 1 – 1,5 m3/h with the LF1AL22 to 2 – 3 m3/h with the LF2AL22.
Please refer to the technical specifications sheets for the technical details. Submit your Email to receive a copy.